Skip to main content

CONVERSATION WITH AN ABSTAINING CHRISTIAN.

I had a very interesting conversation with a young man who is a student in one of the top universities in Nigeria, a  devout Christian who lives his life for Christ. A virgin at the age of twenty one who believes others should follow his steps and stay away from premarital sex.

 A few weeks ago I noticed a tweet about abstinence so I clicked the profile and noticed I was following and he also followed, however, his tweets didn't stand out to me until I saw the one about all people do on twitter is talking about sex which is not entirely true but I got his point.  His Bio Conservative Christain stood out and I knew the reason why he was tweeting about abstinence.


 There are quite a few extra horny people on the platform and all they ever tweet about it sex, and it gets disturbing at times but you can easily mute or block such people but I didn't really bother me.
I started to look out for his tweets and at times I would get vexed about the way he passed his message across, he had a way of shaming people in his tweets, although he didn't name anyone, he shared a lot of things that were peoples personal experiences.

Another thing that caught my attention was the tweets were mostly attention was the fact that most of his tweets were to shame women who engaged in premarital sex and not the men. Sex involves two parties and why should his stories be about women. The only time he seems to focus on men was when he tweeted about married men going to pick up ladies at a well-known university in Lagos.
 His tweets include his feelings about females with piercings were not raised properly, as someone who loves piercings and has quite a number of them I felt attacked.
 In what way do the piercings I got as an adult affect the way my parents raised me?
 I was raised beyond standards and as an adult, I should be able to do what I want with my body and not be judged and have my upbringing questioned by someone who feels like he is the morality police.

He also tweeted about his distaste for his hostel mates sneaking girls in for sex, we have all being to university and know how randy some students can get, being alone without adult supervision.
I sent him a private message asking " Why are you angry, I get the religion thing, but why are you always attacking females? "
The first thing he did was apologise, which I felt was unnecessary but was a nice thing to do. He went on to say how much he loves and respects females, which to me is also the same as saying "I'm not racist I have a black friend".
 He explained his tweets are not entirely gender-based and I was misconstruing the information he was trying to pass, he explained the logic behind each tweet most of which I didn't agree with He apologised once more saying he attacked both sexes fairly.

Last night he tweeted about females having pride and not wanting to submit to men should not bother getting married, this pissed me off once again so back to his DM I went. We ended up having a long conversation about this and some other tweets, he talked about the submission being the basic and fundamental ground of marriage and also mentioned the husband being the King and the wife should respect the husband's decisions which pissed me off way more.
How can an educated 21 years old guy have a very silly and archaic mentality?
He went on to explain how the man is meant to be kind of superior to the woman and how the scripture supports it. Total BS right?
 We went back and forth and I also explained how the scripture he quoted was written at a time where women were seen as property and where not allowed to do much, the scripture is therefore irrelevant in this day and age where the world has changed so much and is still changing.

I questioned a lot of his other tweets especially the one about married men picking up ladies from the university.
 I asked how he was sure the men were married? His reply was seeing a ring on at least eleven fingers * rolls eyes *.  Eleven men do not account for all the cars parked outside the female hostel.
We discussed our opinions on other topics including prostitution and abortion and he is of the opinion that prostitution is not an issue for the government and prostitutes should be passed to the religious leader in order to be saved and reformed. I on the other prostitution should be legalized, and taxed in order to create revenue for the country, health care and security should also be provided. I might talk about this in another post.

I personally have nothing against him and I respect his decision to abstain and not engage in any sexual activity which includes self-pleasure because religions frown upon it. This takes a lot of courage which I personally do not have. We have a certain level of respect for each other even though we do not agree on our opinions on certain things and next time he posts something I do not agree with, il message or comment to ask why.

It told him about writing a blog post on the conversation we had and I also asked for his permission in order to include tweets. However, I am unable to find most of the ones I am blogging about.








XXXX
L.D



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Act of Indecent Dressing.

I've always wondered how women can walk around looking almost naked yet feeling comfortable with it. I've never been one for going out with skimpy clothes, I do have some skirts and dresses that are above the knees, but they stay unworn in the back of the wardrobe, I wore a very questionable leather peplum to the beach and I felt very uncomfortable, had to pull it down ever time I stood up , and when It was my turn to go get drinks my brothers friend took a look at me and told me to sit down.  I was embarrassed, but I turned a lot of heads, when we switched locations to Waterside I had a guy wait for me outside the toilet since he couldn't approach me in from of the two intimidating men I was with. He offered to take me out clubbing and I blamed it on the skirt because I was dressed like I belonged in a club.

I PICKED UP THE HIJAB

 I'm slowly transitioning from a cleavage bearing, alcohol sipping Muslim woman to a full-time hijabi.  Where do I start from? I've always wanted to be a hijabi but I didn't have the courage to do it, I admired Muslim women in their scarves and hijab, I gave it a go in Uni, tied a turban for a few weeks and I got bored and ditched it.  Told myself I will pick it up when I get married, I still need enough time to flaunt my locs, bare my chest and wear dresses with slits going above my knees.  I enjoyed sipping cocktails, drinking champagne and mostly Jack Daniels and coke, I quit alcohol a few times, the longest I went without alcohol was 12 months. I'm not an alcoholic, I go months without drinking on the regs,. especially when I'm in Dublin, but I need booze to survive in Lagos. A few shots once I get home from the airport, then Star Radler or Snapp before noon, this continues until I leave the city.  My motto was " I can't be sober in Lagos". 

ESCAPE

"God will punish you', I shouted as I tried to chase the man who robbed me" "E no go better for you ', I am fighting a battle I know I’m not going to win, but I hate being cheated, I settled on the train tracks to catch my breath, a few minutes before the train passes. A small crowd  gathered the nosy bastards who have nothing better to do on a Monday morning, I look up from after a few minutes, I have no choice, a pair of over-bleached feet appeared beside me. The sight of someone's skin bearing a striking resemblance to over roasted plantain nearly made me regurgitate the contents of my stomach. "How far now? she asked putting her hands on my waist.