Skip to main content

HOLIDAYS.

Hi guys,
So I've been in Lagos for the last three weeks and it has been nothing but chaos, I was very excited for this holiday but everything seems to be going out of control and I scared of the consequences of my actions.
 As usual, I have a lot of ideas about what to do in my head, I had plans to write a lot more since my stories are mostly written about Nigerian characters and the cities I've visited in the country. I wanted to update my cv in order to start looking for a new job when I get back to Dublin, I also wanted to learn how to use excel properly and also learn other tools that will make my job search easier and increase of getting a better job.

I've done fuck all since I got here and it's a bit annoying. I'm not lazying around or partying, I had plans to party, three weddings scheduled for the week I arrived, I had my outfits picked and planned for each one and I didn't even attend any. I was so busy running errands for my parents and somewhere down the line I lost interest or I was too exhausted to attend.

My face struggles with the weather in Lagos a lot, I started breaking out the next day, I've been trying to get my face back to normal, I tried to avoid products I use every now and again which I noticed it was bleaching my face. This led me to order from a certain organic brand which made my skin worse, I had rashes all over my face and I had to deal with people asking what's wrong with my face. This is very embarrassing because of a lot Nigerians do not know how to mind their business and feel they have a say.

I had issues with the police three days after I got in, I was stopped by a traffic warden who requested my license and the particulars of the vehicle. The car I drove was one of the cars at home and I didn't bother checking, my temporary license expired almost two years ago and I genuinely had plans to get it sorted out.

Nigerian police officers have an aggressive approach when stopping drivers and there is usually signs of anger and jealousy, they shouted and I ended up at the station, I was allowed to go after a few calls were made. The officer who insisted on bringing me in went from rude and aggressive to friendly because she wanted money which is standard behaviour.
I also had a run with officers from the same station three weeks after.

I haven't prayed since I got here and this is a huge setback from my normal routine, I've been drinking non-stop since I got here, there is something about this city that makes me drink every day. I need at least a glass of wine or a shot of something stronger to help me function.
Sex is also another issue, been a Muslim requires abstaining if you are unmarried but I'm back in the same city as my man after five months apart and best believe I'm going to catch up on everything I've missed. A cleansing ritual bath (Janabah ) is needed after sex in order to pray but I've only done this twice since I got here and also prayed Fajr twice.
This has me asking myself a lot of questions.
Will I struggle with prayers when I get married?
Is my relationship putting a strain on my connection with God?
Do I need to abstain and stay celibate until I get married?
How can I balance a sexual relationship and life as a practising Muslim?

XXXX
L.D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Act of Indecent Dressing.

I've always wondered how women can walk around looking almost naked yet feeling comfortable with it. I've never been one for going out with skimpy clothes, I do have some skirts and dresses that are above the knees, but they stay unworn in the back of the wardrobe, I wore a very questionable leather peplum to the beach and I felt very uncomfortable, had to pull it down ever time I stood up , and when It was my turn to go get drinks my brothers friend took a look at me and told me to sit down.  I was embarrassed, but I turned a lot of heads, when we switched locations to Waterside I had a guy wait for me outside the toilet since he couldn't approach me in from of the two intimidating men I was with. He offered to take me out clubbing and I blamed it on the skirt because I was dressed like I belonged in a club.

I PICKED UP THE HIJAB

 I'm slowly transitioning from a cleavage bearing, alcohol sipping Muslim woman to a full-time hijabi.  Where do I start from? I've always wanted to be a hijabi but I didn't have the courage to do it, I admired Muslim women in their scarves and hijab, I gave it a go in Uni, tied a turban for a few weeks and I got bored and ditched it.  Told myself I will pick it up when I get married, I still need enough time to flaunt my locs, bare my chest and wear dresses with slits going above my knees.  I enjoyed sipping cocktails, drinking champagne and mostly Jack Daniels and coke, I quit alcohol a few times, the longest I went without alcohol was 12 months. I'm not an alcoholic, I go months without drinking on the regs,. especially when I'm in Dublin, but I need booze to survive in Lagos. A few shots once I get home from the airport, then Star Radler or Snapp before noon, this continues until I leave the city.  My motto was " I can't be sober in Lagos". 

RAMEN IS NOT FOR ME.

 Do not believe what you see on the internet... Fighting for my life as type this, by fighting for my life, I mean my stomach and mouth are on fire.  My nose is running and I'm screaming for pain.  Why ????????????????   Two nights ago I saw a tweet where someone was hyping how delicious Ramen is and how it is way better than Indomine.  Curiosity killed the cat they said, well I am a 94kg, 5'2 26 years old cat in human form.  I jumped on Amazon, checked out a few brands, picked one, during my quest of finding the one with the cheapest shipping, I accidentally subscribed for Prime... Oops