Skip to main content

A Better Nigeria.

All my life I've been surrounded by politics, I grew up in a family surrounded by politicians. My grandpa may his soul Rest in Peace was an active politician till he took his last breathe, there is a difference between been a rich politician and an influential politician.

He was important enough for people to burn down his house, and make attempts to kill his family, including my mother, grand mother and aunties, but they survived the ordeal and moved.

He was important enough for a well known politician and minster to order a hit for his life, he was well known amongst politicians and his opinions were respected. He didn't go down in history for his work.

My father is also an active politician from been a member of the House of Reps, to a well respected political Godfather in our constituency , he also had several attempts made on his life.


I guess that's the price you pay for political success.
Growing up with all this happening I turned my back against politics and vowed not to have anything to do with it, I encourage those who I know are interested in politics.

The only opinion I had on Nigerian politics was that change is needed and the government is corrupt.
I know the youths needed a voice and I was happy to see young people building a political ambition, every I see a post online I  follow the individual and I look forward to seeing their faces on posters.

But I was disappointed by a lot of opinions after PDP lost the presidential election, my family is APC but most youth I followed were PDP, I don't really mind what party you belonged to as long as you want a better Nigeria.

A lot of them condemned the incumbent presidents loss and clearly stating he has made billions and would never have to suffer. I was deeply saddened by the views Nigeria's future leaders had. The country was simply a profitable loot for them and that woke up the political voice I never had.

What do people really have in mind when they go into politics?
I don't live in Nigeria but I'm a proud Nigerian, most of my holidays are spent back home, I've never planned  to continue to reside outside Nigeria . I look forward to the day I write my final exams, back my bags , wave goodbye to the Western world and move back home to invest what I've learnt in My Country .

XXXXX
L.D

Comments

  1. Great thoughts, hope your plans work out in the end and all the best!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Act of Indecent Dressing.

I've always wondered how women can walk around looking almost naked yet feeling comfortable with it. I've never been one for going out with skimpy clothes, I do have some skirts and dresses that are above the knees, but they stay unworn in the back of the wardrobe, I wore a very questionable leather peplum to the beach and I felt very uncomfortable, had to pull it down ever time I stood up , and when It was my turn to go get drinks my brothers friend took a look at me and told me to sit down.  I was embarrassed, but I turned a lot of heads, when we switched locations to Waterside I had a guy wait for me outside the toilet since he couldn't approach me in from of the two intimidating men I was with. He offered to take me out clubbing and I blamed it on the skirt because I was dressed like I belonged in a club.

I PICKED UP THE HIJAB

 I'm slowly transitioning from a cleavage bearing, alcohol sipping Muslim woman to a full-time hijabi.  Where do I start from? I've always wanted to be a hijabi but I didn't have the courage to do it, I admired Muslim women in their scarves and hijab, I gave it a go in Uni, tied a turban for a few weeks and I got bored and ditched it.  Told myself I will pick it up when I get married, I still need enough time to flaunt my locs, bare my chest and wear dresses with slits going above my knees.  I enjoyed sipping cocktails, drinking champagne and mostly Jack Daniels and coke, I quit alcohol a few times, the longest I went without alcohol was 12 months. I'm not an alcoholic, I go months without drinking on the regs,. especially when I'm in Dublin, but I need booze to survive in Lagos. A few shots once I get home from the airport, then Star Radler or Snapp before noon, this continues until I leave the city.  My motto was " I can't be sober in Lagos". 

ESCAPE

"God will punish you', I shouted as I tried to chase the man who robbed me" "E no go better for you ', I am fighting a battle I know I’m not going to win, but I hate being cheated, I settled on the train tracks to catch my breath, a few minutes before the train passes. A small crowd  gathered the nosy bastards who have nothing better to do on a Monday morning, I look up from after a few minutes, I have no choice, a pair of over-bleached feet appeared beside me. The sight of someone's skin bearing a striking resemblance to over roasted plantain nearly made me regurgitate the contents of my stomach. "How far now? she asked putting her hands on my waist.